4 (300g/10oz each) duck breasts, skin on
Salt and pepper to taste
2 shallots, finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
30mL (2 tbsp) sugar
50mL (¼ cup) white balsamic vinegar
250mL (1 cup) chicken stock
500mL (2 cups) Europe’s Best® Raspberries, frozen, divided
15mL (1 tbsp) butter
1. Place duck breasts skin side up on cutting board.
2. With a very sharp knife, carefully make slits in skin at ½” (1 cm) intervals, being careful not to pierce the meat.
3. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Heat large oven proof skillet over high heat until very hot
5. Preheat oven to 400ºF (205ºC).
6. Place duck, skin side down in hot pan and sear until brown, about 3 minutes.
7. Carefully turn over and cook 3 minutes longer.
8. Transfer skillet to preheated oven and bake about 5 minutes, or until medium doneness.
9. Remove from oven and place duck on serving platter.
10. Cover with foil.
11. Pour off all but 1 tbsp (15mL) of duck fat from pan.
12. Place pan over high heat and add shallots and garlic.
13. Saute until starting to brown.
14. Add sugar and sauté 1 minute.
15. Add balsamic vinegar and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
16. Add chicken stock.
17. Bring to a boil and stir in 1 cup (250mL) frozen raspberries.
18. Cook until warm and mash raspberries into sauce.
19. Pour into a sieve, placed over a bowl and strain mixture, reserving sauce.
20. Discard solids.
21. Return sauce to pan, bring to a boil and add remaining raspberries, stirring until warmed.
22. To serve, slice duck on the diagonal and drizzle with sauce.
Slice on the diagonal so that each slice has lots of crispy skin and drizzle with sauce.