Tortoni Berry Pie
Thaw the fruit by spreading it out on a baking sheet lined with paper towel to soak up extra moisture.
2 cups milk
3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
1/2 cup Fleischmann's® Canada Corn Starch
4 Naturegg™ Omega 3 Egg Yolks
1 tsp each almond and vanilla extract
2 Tenderflake® Pie Shells
1 1/4 cups 35% whipping cream, divided
1 bag (500 g) Europe’s Best® 4-Field Berry Mix, thawed
1 cup toasted sliced almonds,
2 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
2 tbsp Crown® Golden Corn Syrup
1. Whisk milk with 1/2 cup sugar and cornstarch in a heavy saucepan set over
medium heat for 5 minutes or until very thick.
2. Whisk egg yolks with almond and vanilla extracts; whisk a little of the hot
milk mixture into egg yolk mixture. Whisking constantly, add egg mixture into
remaining milk mixture to make custard. Cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute
or until hot and well combined.
3. Transfer to a large bowl. Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on surface of
mixture; cool to room temperature (set bowl in a cold-water bath to speed up
cooling). Meanwhile, bake pie shells according to package directions.
4. Beat 1 cup whipping cream with remaining sugar until very stiff. Fold a little
whipped cream into custard to lighten; fold in remaining whipped cream until
well combined. Fold in thawed fruit and 1/2 cup almonds just until evenly distributed.
Divide between prepared pie shells. Chill for at least 4 hours or until set.
5. Meanwhile, combine remaining whipping cream with chocolate and corn
syrup in a small heatproof bowl. Microwave, stirring twice, for
90 seconds or until melted and smooth. Garnish pie with chocolate syrup
and remaining toasted almonds. Makes 16 servings (2 pies).